Shepherds Pie Recipe
Shepherds pie with a cauliflower topping instead of the traditional potato topping to sneak in some extra vegetables.
Author: Wellness Mama
Recipe type: Main
- 2 (or more) pounds of ground beef, turkey or other meat
- 2-3 heads of cauliflower or 3-4 bags of frozen cauliflower
- 1 bag of frozen mixed veggies (no corn! It’s not a veggie!)
- 1-2 onions
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon each of basil, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and a little cayenne
- 3-4 Tablespoons of butter
- 4 ounces of cream cheese (optional)
- Cheese to top (optional)
- Brown meat in large skillet and season to taste when cooked. Set aside.
- Saute diced onion in skillet until somewhat soft. Set aside with meat.
- Pour mixed veggies in the skillet to heat on low heat and in the meantime…
- In large pot, boil several cups of water. Add cauliflower, cover, and cook until soft enough to mash.
- Remove the pot from the heat, pour off the water, and add butter and cream cheese to the pot.
- Add spices and mash. (I use a hand blender to make it really smooth).
- Mixed veggies should be cooked by now.
- Mix the meat, onions mixed veggies, raw egg and any additional seasonings and put in bottom of 9×13 baking dish.
- Spread mashed cauliflower mixture over it until smooth.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes.
- Add cheese and bake 5 additional minutes (optional).
- Serve warm (or reheat later).