Turkey and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Yield: 8 stuffed pepper halves
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (I used red)
- 1 cup water + pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 20 oz. extra lean ground turkey
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 oz. baby spinach
- 4 bell pepper, halved with seeds and membranes removed
- fresh basil, chopped, torn, or sliced
- shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer until the water runs clear.
- In a small saucepan, combine the quinoa and water with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for 2-3 more minutes to evaporate any remaining water.
- In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add in the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until translucent. Add in the turkey and Italian seasoning, and cook until no longer pink. Stir in the tomato sauce and spinach.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa and turkey mixture. Spoon into the 8 pepper halves. If you’d like, top the pepper with some mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the peppers are tender. Sprinkle with the fresh basil prior to serving.